Friday, February 25, 2011

Kiss and Tell

With true love being the exception, I have always been a little skeptical when it comes to dating within the same industry.  I'm not saying don't [I've done it], I'm saying, it's tricky.  The fashion industry is small, holed up in a few cities around the globe: New York, LA, Paris, London, Milan, and Tokyo.  Designers, publicists, editors, stylists all know each other, or at least know OF each other.  Its funny, New York, a city with a population of 8+ million people, and I feel like it could be any city in West Texas....Marfa maybe?  One stop light, one grocery store, one bar, Prada, population 200.

All too recently I found out that a notable designer was dating his publicist.  I ALSO just had a conversation with my boss, who has an incredible friendship with an editor at a reputable men's magazine.  I asked him how he manages to keep his work and personal life separate despite the fact that they seem to overlap so frequently.  He told me that it took some learning, but that when he's at work, he's working, and when he's not, he's not [easier said than done, I say, haha].

All things considered, dating within the same industry can be perilous, but I'm opting for the "true love" exception, myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment