Sunday, February 27, 2011

Men in Heels

The forties will always, in my mind, define mens fashion.  Think, Madmen: three piece suites, peak lapels, overcoats...but, reminiscing about the "good ole' days" is not what I'm onto here, instead, I wanted to talk about the crossover between men's and women's fashion.  My "fur" post got me thinking about it and I realized that there were more and more trends emerging on the men's catwalk that might be considered sartorial-cross dressing.

Belted cardigans were out in full force this season.  Perry Ellis had a few choice examples: 


Skinny leather pants, once only seen on rock stars and emaciated female models showed up in more than one designers collection this season.  Tim Hamilton, best known for his streets-wear meets fine tailoring aesthetic offered a few options:


Heels?!  I noticed the trend a few seasons ago while walking around SoHo.  Men in heels were not too uncommon a sighting in the tents this season.  Rick Owens is a huge supporter:


Sequins also had a moment on the menswear catwalk.  Check out Dolce & Gabbana's take on the trend.


I don't know how soon I will be donning a sequins blazer, heels, or leather pants, if ever, as I think jeans and a t-shirt will always be my uniform of choice, however, I get the belted cardigan look...and lets be honest, if I looked anything like the model in the above picture wearing said belted cardigan, I don't think I would ever wear anything else!  


No comments:

Post a Comment